Saturday, February 6, 2010

S(no)w More!!!!


The snow started yesterday afternoon. Bob Ryan, our trusty News 4 weather guy called the upcoming storm a Meteorological Bomb. Words I have never heard spoken. People went nuts at the grocery store, gas station, etc., in preparation. John made a late night dash last night to get some propane (so we could use the grill in case we lost power) at Sears and found a long line of people waiting for the delivery truck of snow blowers that people had ordered online and were picking up at the store. Every where you went on Friday, the frenzy was on. Schools were closed in anticipation of the storm...the fifth snow day of this school year. That means two days to make up so far. By the time we went to bed last night, 7 inches of snow was on the ground. The storm picked up over night and we got up to 2 inches an hour, hence (that's for you, Suzette) we had about 18 inches when I got up in a freezing cold house. We had lost power over night, about 2 or 3 am, and the house was already 58 degrees. The trees and bushes are screaming in pain from the weight of the snow that has made them bend in every which way. We have a pine tree that has completely fallen on our pool deck. We're hoping it doesn't do any damage. John made a fire and we used wrought iron pans on the fire to make some interesting looking scrambled eggs, and some burnt, buttered shredded wheat. I even got some boiling water so that I could make some coffee in my French Press. I felt so colonial....or something. When I went out to attempt to clear the driveway. It was hard to know where to start. The snow was/is ridiculously deep. I got help eventually and John and I cleared most of it. The snow was still coming down and it felt like a lost cause. Looking out the window became a favorite time waster. I will post a picture of the Cooper's Hawk hanging out on this tree that we watched for quite awhile. The power came on for about an hour, if that. Jen and Ry got a Wii game or two in, John took a shower (lucky!) and I almost got my wet snow clothes in the dryer. Then it went out again. For three hours, we prayed for the power to return. I fixed PB and J sandwiches, and John and I had a beer. Divine vittels. The power returned at 3:30 and now we are in this "hurry up and fix hot food, and watch t.v. and use electricity as fast as we can mode." The homemade pizza is almost ready, and I can't wait to eat it. It looks like a good 24 inches out there, now that the snow has finally let up. Heaven knows how much longer the power will stay on, or when school will be back in session. For now I just want pizza and a G & T.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...sounds like Survivor there! Doesn't look like you are gonna get relief anytime soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so resourceful! I know who I want to be with the next time the power goes out. :)

    ReplyDelete