Friday, April 16, 2010

It's almost time....my tears are welling up already

Today was a big day for Ry.  We went to Kindergarten Orientation...already.  I was pleasantly impressed by the program, organization and gifts.  Not only is my son going to be attending full day kindergarten (unless the FCPS budget cuts get a hold of it) which is different than my daughter who only went half-day, but I don't remember all this orientation stuff so early either.
We arrived at Bull Run Elementary...yes we live in Civil War central, where we were greeted by the smiling faces of Kindergarten teachers and staff, and placed in a color group.  We were "yellow" and Ry promptly put on his yellow crayon box tag.  We sat in the yellow section of the Little Theater.  All the "kindergarteners" were taken by 5-grade buddies to the library to hear a story while the parents listened to a presentation by the principal.  Then we met up with our child to go through a series of four rotations, based on our color group.  First we took a ride on a school bus, which Ry has never done.  Mommy started worrying about how Ry will do with that on a regular basis because he has a tendency to get car sick and the bus ride might intensify that feeling.  Eee gads.  Next we went to a Kindergarten classroom to see the room and to work on a project with a current student.  Ry made his Bull head band.  (see picture above).  I found it amusing that despite Ry's ability to write his name and cut, other students were doing a lot of it for him.  Next we went to the pod to complete puzzles and use manipulatives.  Again, the fifth graders were doing more of the puzzles than the little people.  I saw another mom who couldn't stop crying.  Boy, wait until school starts, she's REALLY going to lose it.  Lastly we went to the registration area, and I proudly had all but 1 of the 10 documents and forms I needed.  Yeah, mom.  Ry got a sticker on his crayon box for each station he went to.  I should have gotten a gold star for being prepared and holding myself together.

1 comment: