I have lived in the D.C. area for the last 22 years, and yet I cannot remember a time where I actually went downtown to see the Cherry Blossoms bloom with my own eyes. It's all anyone talks about this time of year. There is a big festival and the traffic is backed up with people, both locals and tourists slowing down to take a gander at the blossoms. This year, I got to be one of those people. I headed down with my parents and my kids on the day that was said to be the first day of "peak bloom," which got moved up a bit because of the unusually warm weather we are having right now. We took a shuttle bus from a parking area on Haines Point. It was remarkably easy and well worth the trip. Take a look!
Dad, Mom, Ry and Jen
It was windy and a bit cool, but a beautiful walk!
Can you tell how tired Ry is? After a walk along the Tidal Basin to see the blossoms and the FDR Memorial, we headed back to the Jefferson Memorial. By then I was carrying Ry, but we had to go inside to see the inscriptions and statue of Jefferson. It's an awesome sight.




ooh, I am excited! We have a lot of cherry trees here too, but they are already almost green because of the early warm we've had. Cannot wait to see you and DC! Your blog looks great!!
ReplyDeleteKodak Moments! All of them! :)
ReplyDeleteYou know Ry was glad to have the adventure, even if the poor kid got plumb tuckered out.